Saturday 22 August 2009

Cuckoo magic

Todays juvenile Cuckoo (by Davy Still)
Saturday 22nd August comments:
Despite a westerly wind, migrant birds started to move through the island including our third Cuckoo of the year – it was 1999 the last time the Farnes boasted three Cuckoo’s in a year!! Otherwise the islands remained quiet, with the majority of seabirds gone and the number of visitors dropping, as the school holidays start to fade out (I can hear every parent celebrating as children head back to school very soon…). The team continued various bits of work including the start of the Brownsman board-walk which will take some time, as we plan to cover a distance of 300m!

Highlights: Merlin juvenile – 1st this autumn, Cuckoo – juvenile our third this year, Greenshank 2 (Staple and Inner Farne), Common Sandpiper 1, Swallow 3, Wheatear 4, Tree Pipit 1, Chiffchaff 1, Willow Warbler 6.

1 comment:

kezia said...

Hi David well I think I have finally dried out after my very wet farnes experience - but strangly enough I did enjoy myself !!!!! Lucky you having an Osprey fly over , no doubt there will be a few more as they all head for warmer climes . I so loved my time looking after the Ospreys at Loch Garten and will be going next year for sure , a trip to the Farnes will be on the cards again as I still need to get photos of those puffins , unfortunately I still havent been able to retrieve the photos I took when I saw you , so I have lost all the photos I took up to that time which was about 180 in total !!! Hope you are all okay and dont work those boys too hard !!!